Re: gEDA-user: powermeter board, with less ground planes :-)

On Friday 31 October 2008 08:40:44 pm Steve Meier wrote:
> If having to switch between nozzles is a significant issue then there is
> room for a new pick and place equipment company that builds a
> multi-nozzle tool.

They do exist of course, but there maybe other reasons why
they can't be used in a particular machine load.

> In reality, I doubt that it has much of an effect on
> cost.

I have known it to cause a board to require two complete
passes through the machine, or the worse case of two different
machines.  One pass for the "big stuff" and one pass for the "small stuff".

> I wonder how the throughput of the pick and place tool compares to the
> throughput of the reflow oven? or wash or final inspection?

Depends on the equipment, your process set up, and the board.
1000 part board is going to take more time to load and inspect
than a 100 part board, while reflow and wash hold the time more or less
constant for either board.