Re: gEDA-user: smd challenge parts

I'd use the 'N' footprints.  The pad area for a good solder foot is
large enough.  If you go with the 'M' footprints, you may find that
your parts tombstone too easily since the amount of solder on the pad
will be great.

My thought was that a bigger footprint would give you room to get a soldering iron in there.

I suggest you use a fine-tip soldering iron and touch the pad with the tip when soldering.

The 01005's are only 16 mils LONG.  My
soldering iron tip is 20 mils.

Is that the finest tip soldering iron available?

So even on the M footprints, there's
only about 9 mils of pad showing.  For the 0201-M, there's 14 mils
showing, etc.

Another possibility is to get one of those hot-air soldering units and use that instead of a soldering iron. Then hold the part down with your tweezers, heat it with the stream of hot air, and then touch the pad/part with a bit of the thinnest solder you can get.

Personally, the smallest parts I've every tried to deal with was
0402.  I really wouldn't want to deal with anything smaller.

Stuart