Re: gEDA-user: CPLDs and other high-density logic chips...

On Mon, Sep 04, 2006 at 01:25:49PM -0500, Mike Hansen wrote:
> These are very easy parts to work with, there is even a 44 pin PLCC version
> if you have an aversion to doing smt hand work.   The Xilinx software is
> free(as long as you are OK with using Windows).   You can purchase proto
> boards that come with the programming cable for like $40.  That's your
> total out of pocket cost to get started.  There are plenty of good Verilog
> tutorials out on the internet.
>
> The Xilinx software is clunky and takes awhile to get used but it's
> functional.

The Xilinx software is available for a specific version of Redhat Enterprise
Linux on x86 machines. I am successfully running it in a 32 bit chroot on
my AMD64 box running Debian. The install was not too difficult.

I have chosen to use Xilinx over Altera because I don't want to run Windows
on any of my computers. I actually tried to run the Altera software under
wine, and it tried to start but complained about some license server not
being right. Hopefully someday we will have a free software FPGA toolchain.

--
Darrell Harmon
http://dlharmon.com