gEDA-user: Re: CPLDs and other high-density logic chips...

Samuel A. Falvo II wrote:
> On 9/4/06, John Sheahan
> <jrsheahan-NMDoqBMVL6oJY7gZg3T8ig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I figured out how to get impact working with fc3 once, I can dig that
>> out if its useful. It did involve kernel module compilation.

> It sounds like Linux is all but unsupported still.  Token efforts of
> supporting Linux by only supporting one configuration of one
> distribution is not, in my opinion, an honest approach to saying, "We
> support Linux."  I suppose I can give it a try, but with my past
> history with installing way-flakey software in the past, it sounds
> like it'd just plain be easier for me to go with Windows.

Well, I've run the Xilinx tools on various incarnations of SuSE
on AMD64 for a while now. The PC-IV driver doesn't work because
it's a 32bit driver, but impact does otherwise function on my
Linux. In fact, I don't think there is any version of Linux that
it does *not* work with, so you should be fine. There are some
answer records for various portability glitches.

As for it being less flakey on Windows, well... it just ain't
super-wonderfull-happy-as-a-mac software, Windows or Linux. It's
former Unix software ported to Windows, and back again :-/

http://www.icarus.com         and lines to code before I sleep,