Re: gEDA-user: diagnosing toner transfer problems

I'd like to thank everyone who replied to my query.  It took most of
the day, but I managed to get a board that worked "well enough".  This
is after a half dozen failed attempts, two dozen science experiments
to calibrate the iron, and two more attempts, the second of which was
the first to actually work.  Or at least, mostly work, but I got most
of the boards on the panel (6 each of the important ones, three look
usable) to come out "clean".

What was my problem?  A combination of too much heat and inconsistent
pressure.  That's why I was having lifted toner *and* blurry toner in
the same board.  The solution?  It seems to be a combination of these
key points:

* Iron at maximum temperature.

* Pre-heat the board (I just sat the iron on it for 45 seconds)

* Medium pressure.

* Pass the iron from left to right, as if it were a laminator roller.
  I put a full sheet of paper over the stack, held one edge firmly,
  and moved the iron away from that edge to keep it from moving the
  toner paper.  Two or three passes seems to be sufficient.

* *Immediately* move the board to water, so that the paper lets go of
  the toner before it expands due to the cold and rips the toner off.

I also baked the board after removing the paper, just to make sure the
toner was stuck.  I'm not sure there's any advantage in that.  A few
minutes at 350 seemed best, and again, right into the water to cool
the toner before anything bad can happen to it.

Then, the usual 20 minute agitated FeCl bath.  Also, goof-off removes
the toner MUCH faster than acetone-based nail polish remover.

Final results:

low res: http://www.delorie.com/pcb/pcb-sm.html (130k jpeg)
high res: http://www.delorie.com/pcb/pcb.html (1.2M jpeg)

A few lost traces here and there, but I only need one of each board
for my immediate needs.

On the topmost six boards, I included some "test traces" to see how
small traces worked.  On the left of each board, from the top,
they're: 7, 6, 5, 4, 10, and 8 mil lines with same-sized space (looks
like 7 mil is my limit).  The annuli on the right range from 12 mil
down to 5.75 mil on a 13.5 mil drill.  The smaller of the two ICs is a
TVSOP-14, which is 0.2 mm (~8 mil) line/space.  The smallest feature
is the 01005 footprint, which is the 6 mil gap in the trace off pin 9
of that chip.

So the next step is to drill and populate one of the proto-challenge
boards, and make sure the circuit functions.  Hopefully I'll get it
working before I run out of boards ;-) Once I validate the circuit
itself, I'll send the design out to be fabbed (mask and silk on
those), then I can start sending out kits!

DJ