Re: gEDA-user: challenge board ALMOST works

On 9/10/06, DJ Delorie <dj@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
However, the two oscillators tend to self-synchronize.  If I let it
run, one LED is on and the other is off.  If I put scope probes on the
buffered outputs (pins 6 and 8), I can see that the oscillators are
running, they're just in lock-step.  Not even out of phase.

I think you accidentally re-discovered the "synchronous oscillator." Since all your inverters are on the same physical chip, the output of one is likely influencing the other just enough to result in synchrony.

Ideas?  The only thing I can think of is inductive or capacitive
coupling, but at 400 Hz?

Even at such low frequencies, sharp transitions cause differential spikes to appear on adjacent wires, and it's possible that those perturbations can still cause circuits to interact.

Ahh ... the life of an analog circuit designer.  :D

--
Samuel A. Falvo II