gEDA-user: n00b confused about track connections

Just getting serious about going for my first layout using pcb. I have done some PC layout before, so my questions are all about how this particular software works, not pc layout in general.

I have a test file with two parts and four nets the successfully netlist (yay!) and I can pull them into pcb. When I turn on the ratlines, all nets show up. Good so far... but now sometimes when I try to route a net, it refuses to join a track to existing track for that net. All the pads and track segments light up as part of the net when I select the net in the netlist. But pcb refuses to let the tracks connect. What's up with that? It's like it refuses to believe the tracks/pads are all part of the same net when placing tracks, yet the netlist highlighting is correct.

-dave