Re: gEDA-user: n00b confused about track connections

Dave N6NZ wrote:

Just getting serious about going for my first layout using pcb. I have done some PC layout before, so my questions are all about how this particular software works, not pc layout in general.

I have a test file with two parts and four nets the successfully netlist (yay!) and I can pull them into pcb. When I turn on the ratlines, all nets show up. Good so far... but now sometimes when I try to route a net, it refuses to join a track to existing track for that net. All the pads and track segments light up as part of the net when I select the net in the netlist. But pcb refuses to let the tracks connect. What's up with that? It's like it refuses to believe the tracks/pads are all part of the same net when placing tracks, yet the netlist highlighting is correct.

If you are using the "auto enforce DRC" drawing mode, then you must start the track on a known net in the netlist. The rat lines must be drawn (but you can turn off visibility of the rat layer if you like). When you begin a track, everything that belongs to the net should turn green. You will only be allowed to touch copper that has turned green; the program will force a clearance standoff from all other copper.

h.