gEDA-user: Install report of geda CD on Thinkpad

Hi.
Just completed an install of the geda CD on my laptop (Thinkpad T22). Like
my desktop box this system runs Debian testing/etch with a few packages
from unstable/sid sprinkled in. Some notes:

Like with my desktop I had to restart the install script several times and
add packages from the distribution. Finding the right packages involved
a bit of guess work. This would have been easier if the configure script
gave the details what files it is missing. Can you make the script more
verbose?
During the process most of X windows including drivers and basic packages
received an update.

On first trial make of gschem complained that it could not find gtk+2.2 or
later, although the initial configure script of the installer was
satisfied and libgtk2* v2.8.20 was installed. Reason was, that
calls to pkg-config failed and needed an update of libext6 and
libxi to work. Maybe the configure script should not only check whether
pkg-config works properly.

In contrast to my desktop system, compile of gnucap did not fail on the
Thinkpad.

Bottom line: The iso image provided an install that was much less
demanding than manually collecting all the source packages from CVS
repository. On the other hand, it requires definitely more admin knowledge
than the usual install of deb packages.

---<(kaimartin)>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak