Re: gEDA-user: two footprint generators on gedasymbols.org

Cool. Very timely. Those will be very useful to me right now, and I do mean immediately. I only see a web interface, are you planning to make the scripts themselves available?

I found djboxsym to be very useful, not just as a generator, but it was very helpful to read it and experiment with it as I tried to climb the learning curve on symbol creation. Eventually, I tweaked it to better suit my own taste in symbol graphics. One substantive change: djboxsym makes the pinseq the same as pinnum, so symbols that bury Vcc and GND with net attributes get out of whack. I added some whack by adding a separate pinseq counter. (No, I don't want to debate the merits of hidden Vcc/GND.)

Along the same lines, I have a header generator about 95% complete. It generates schematic symbols for 1xN and 2xN headers, and also generates footprints for through-hole 1xN and 2xN headers with arbitrary pin spacing, 0.100 being the default of course. It needs to be completed and tested a bit, and some people that understand footprints and symbols better than me need to review the output, but I'll be happy to slap a GPL on it and make it available.

-dave

DJ Delorie wrote:
I added two symbol generators to my page on gedasymbols:

http://www.gedasymbols.org/user/dj_delorie/

One creates two-pad footprints (like 0603 parts), the other creates
dual-in-line pad footprints (like SOJ or TSSOP, or SMD connectors).

Both scripts offer a plethora of measuring options (20 measurements
for the DIL on), and calculate whatever you don't provide from what
you do provide, and show you a picture of the footprint, the footprint
text, and a download link.  The DIL one offers six different pad
numbering schemes, mostly for use with connectors.

I wrote these because different specs give you different sets of
measurements for their footprints, and I got tired of manually
converting those into the numbers pcb wants.

DJ