gEDA-user: Creating SMT element in PCB

Hello everyone:
This time I have a very specific question.  I am trying to create a
footprint for an SMT device (it's an SDIP, which doesn't appear to be in
the library.)  The manufacturer spec gave me the exact dimensions for
the pads, which I created using the rectangle tool.  After creating the
device's four pads, I selected them all, copied them to the buffer, and
attempted to convert them to an element.  PCB then gives me the error
message "nothing to convert"!  It's as if it can't see anything I create
with the rectangle tool (and I'm doing this as the component layer; the
pads the same maroon color they were when I took an existing element,
broke it into pieces and modified it.)  It does see silk lines and any
component layer elements that I create with the line tool.  But I don't
want to be restricted to the four different line widths that PCB gives
me; the manufacturer spec has very specific dimensions for these pads.
The rectangle tool works well to create the pads, so why can't I use
them?
Thanks!
Vaughn