Re: gEDA-user: PCB a bad name ?

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006, Samuel A. Falvo II wrote:

<snip>

>Here's a possible suggestion for compromise:-
>
>Retain the current, keyboard-centric user interface.  There is no need
>to change it, and on top of that, you'd P-off a whole lot of currently
>happy users.  But for those who are new to the product, enable a mode
>of operation whereby when the mouse hovers over an item for, say, 2
>seconds, a semi-transparent balloon would pop-up listing the keyboard
>commands that are valid and applicable to that object.  As soon as the
>mouse moves off that object, the balloon disappears and the process
>repeated.
>
>To retain the old-style user interface, just go into your settings and
>turn off "balloon help."

I would hate having an extra function I wouldn't ever use (the extra
bloat, compile time and whatever).

What about forking the gtk hid, so we would have a gtk hid that works as
now and another that has balloon or even some extra clicky-clicky feature?
Of course, it would make more sense if HIDs could be loaded runtime
:) Before that, there could be 2 binaries and on download and/or install
and/or ./configure the user could choose. I'm not sure how comfortable to
manage 2 branches of the mostly same HID with cvs, it's more or less ok
with SVN (but means extra work of course).

Igor2