Re: gEDA-user: PCB a bad name ?

On 9/21/06, DJ Delorie <dj@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The Atari ST isn't in common use anymore.  Read the "History" section
of the pcb manual.

And the Atari ST's UI norms were much closer to MacOS's norms (being built around GEM), which all but eschews the use of the keyboard. So that blows THAT theory out of the water.

The fact of the matter is, the keyboard was used for expediency --
both in programming and in usability.  For as much as I abhore the PCB
UI, I have to admit that it does make using it lightning fast.

Here's a possible suggestion for compromise:-

Retain the current, keyboard-centric user interface.  There is no need
to change it, and on top of that, you'd P-off a whole lot of currently
happy users.  But for those who are new to the product, enable a mode
of operation whereby when the mouse hovers over an item for, say, 2
seconds, a semi-transparent balloon would pop-up listing the keyboard
commands that are valid and applicable to that object.  As soon as the
mouse moves off that object, the balloon disappears and the process
repeated.

To retain the old-style user interface, just go into your settings and
turn off "balloon help."

--
Samuel A. Falvo II