Re: gEDA-user: PCB a bad name ?

Hi guys,

I've been reading this particular subject a little bit lately and I think that it's a good idea to link other websites to your page.  However, I think there is a much more important way to increase interest in the entire gEDA project.  And that would be to focus on further integrating the modules, making the install much faster and smoother for novice Linux users, and making sure that installing the software NEVER breaks another commonly used application.  I have been following the gEDA project since 1998 but have not actively promoted it very much to my acquaintances who have a love of Electronics Engineering...because I didn't think it was really ready for them to use...since most of them currently use Windows and I have trouble just getting them to "think about using Linux".  I personally LOVE Linux...and promote that as much as possible...but not gEDA...because the installation is as much a "nightmare" as I would care to expound upon to anyone.  And there is basically NO integration.  Fixing these issues will get the entire gEDA project VERY noticed by everyone.  I happen to be fully aware of its potential...and so are many other engineers...but they are watching this project from a distance...until these issues are addressed.  Don't think I'm "picking on you"....I'm not...I believe in gEDA as probably the single most valuable project ever undertaken in the history of the world...but its lack of adoption centers around the issues I have pointed out....not because it isn't known.

Arthur