RE: gEDA-user: Milling channels in a PCB?

I use to work as a process Engineer at Sheldahl (now Multek) where we made
mostly flexible PCBs.  My CNC drills could hold accurate registration in the
x or y (~1 to 3 mils depending on the machine) but the z (depth) axis has no
real tolerance control. This is because the bits have pointed ends (not flat
so they can enter the FR4 better), you don't know how long the drill bit is,
or how far the bit is mounted into the router's collette (holder).

When we had to make sure there was a channel of a specified depth, we would
manufacture the circuit on a board of that thickness.  We would then route
those channels all the way through the thickness of the board.  Then we
would route a bare piece of FR4 to match the outline of the regular board
(and make openings for mounting holes or chips that needed clearance on the
bottom side), but leave the FR4 in place where the channel was.  Using
adhesive we would then stick the bare FR4 to the back side of the completed
circuit and that would guarantee the channel has the correct depth.

Hope this helps,
Andrew Miner