Re: gEDA-user: Milling channels in a PCB?

Stuart,

I've done this by hand and had a shop do this kind of thing.  Good luck.

Most fab shops can route spaces between boards (in a panel) or parts of a board. Many (most?) are not set up to mill partially through a panel. They may not have the machine(s) or tooling to do it. Control of depth, the correct tool (end mill) are required. You didn't say what size the features were you need cut out. As DJ points out, the shop may have a limited set of tool diameters available. The shop may balk at really narrow slots (< .025"). If you have access to a mechanical CAD program it may help. Doing a really detailed drawing is essential. And ask them what data format their milling machines expect (I would be surprised if they can use gerber output). Without a doubt there will be some translation step required to get the data in the form they need.

When you design the board, it would probably help to keep all copper (especially planes) away from the depth of your cut.

If you find a shop that is willing to do this and does a good job please let us know who it is.

Joe

Stuart Brorson wrote:

Guys --

I have a PCB specification/manufacturing question, and I figure some
of the gurus on this list might have the answer.  I want to create a
PCB with some material (0.030", say) milled off the top of the board
at specific locations.  That is, I want to cut grooves into -- but
not through -- the board.

What is the best way to acheive this (besides buying a milling machine
and doing it myself, that is)?  Specific questions:

*  How do I capture this information so a PCB fab house can use it?
Gerbers only give 2D info, they don't specify anything about where to
mill or route a channel into the PCB.  Or should I define a separate
"mill" layer, and call out the milling depth in the fab drawing?

*  Is it possible to capture this milling info using PCB?  I guess I
can just draw tracks on the "mill" layer . . . . . right?

*  Which PCB houses do this kind of work?

I'd prefer to hear from folks who have actually had this type of job
done, rather than just guesses or hearsay.  OTOH, all suggestions are
welcome.

Cheers and thanks for any info,

Stuart