Re: gEDA-user: newbie question: PCB: crossing soldering lines

On Sep 21, 2006, at 10:32 AM, Giorgenes Gelatti wrote:
I'm new to electronics, geda and this list.
I've read some tutorial in the net but end up with this question:
I've done a simple schematic in geda and exported it to PCB via gsch2pcb.
After drawing the soldering lines by hand in pcb I got to a situation
where there
was no path to connect the other components without crossing another line.
And I couldn't find a way to make a "jump" over the other lines.

Is there a way to do that in PCB? Or should I put some "jumper"
component in schematic?

Hi Giorgenes...The common way to do this is to use a trace on the other side of the board, with two vias to connect it.

If you're designing a single-sided board, the electronics world has come up with the bizarre concept of the "zero-ohm resistor" to take care of this...it's quick & easy to place a resistor spanning the line that must be crossed, then solder a jumper wire across it. Some manufacturers even make actual "zero-ohm resistors" (which of course aren't *exactly* zero ohms!) which look like real resistors...the ones I've seen have a single black band around them. There are surface-mount versions of these as well.

  Good luck in your new design!

            -Dave

--
Dave McGuire