Re: gEDA-user: Polygon islands in PCB

On Sun, 31 Aug 2008 02:47:46 +0100, Peter Clifton wrote:

> (By this, I think I mean the same as KMK - the copper is solid, but the
> mask is cut away with the lettering).
>
> An undergraduate designed a board for a PWM inverter on a lab course I
> was demoing, and he used this technique with Altium.

Jupp. At my former day job we did this with protel98 all the time. It can
provide essential information like the name and version of the project
when no silk is applied and there is no place to do it in copper. This is
a way to imprint a low key water mark in the layout when the customer
prefers to have his own logo flashily in silk.

This is one of the few features I missed, when I switched to geda. It has
been mentioned more than once, that this is a consequence of the internal
handling of text. Consequently, I won't hold my breath until the major
effort to handle layers and objects in a more general way will finally
hit the code base.
How about an action to convert text into lines in the mean time?
This would allow (fixed) text in footprints too.

---<(kaimartin)>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak                                  tel: +49-511-762-2895
Universität Hannover, Inst. für Quantenoptik      fax: +49-511-762-2211