Re: gEDA-user: Linux's answer to SolidWorks

On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 17:05:02 -0400, Ormund Williams wrote:

> Does anyone know of a Linux version of
>> SolidWorks or something comparable?
>>
> Probably not comparable to SolidWorks but I us VariCAD.

I use varicad too. It is comparable (3D modelling, 2D drawings) but not
as feature rich as solid works. Solid works is one of the "big" CAD
suites with extensive libraries, solid demands on hardware and key
account managers. Expect a four figure price tag for the regular full
version.

Varicad is more on the lower end of the spectrum, but still serious. The
3D modelling GUI is rather intuitive. Libraries are a weak point. You
need to roll your own. At 500 EUR for the full version, the package is a
bargain.

---<(kaimartin)>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak                                  tel: +49-511-762-2895
Universität Hannover, Inst. für Quantenoptik      fax: +49-511-762-2211