Re: gEDA-user: PCB, clearance around square pads in planes

Ben,

Ben Jackson <ben@xxxxxxx> writes:

> There are just a couple places in the polygon code which make the
> clearances for pads that call a 'rounded rect' function that would
> have to be changed.

Thanks for the pointer. I just got a CVS built of PCB going, I will
try to look into this.  I never looked at the code before, it may take
a while.

> The other quirk is that soldermasks are NOT rounded for whatever
> reason.  Equal size mask/clearance will expose copper (that's too
> much mask aperture anyway, but it's the default).
>
> Keep in mind that if you're doing space-qualified work, there are
> lots of other subtle differences when you upgrade.  Your board is
> saved as a description of elements, not a vector graphic like a
> gerber.  Every time PCB is upgraded the version you see when you
> load your board is new and (hopefully) improved.

Sure, I kept Gerbers of all intermediate versions, but I was
advertising the CVS history of the PCB files as a reference of the
design history.  I also kept a version of gaf and pcb, compiled from
source, as long as the designs were in progress.  It is just a little
inconvenient that I cannot use the current, distribution supplied
tools to look at the old files.

I just tried to opne one of the more complicated boards to see how bad
it looks with those round corners, but the two planes of the board
were totally gone, and on the console I had two messages:

Error while clipping PBO_SUB: 3
Error while clipping PBO_SUB: 3

And while I am whining along: On a new design, I had a mixed
signal/plane, with a trace that completely cut a large area of the
plane, so it would only connect through vias and another ground plane
with the other part.  Sure enough, the cutoff part was gone.  Is there
a parameter for the island removal code to say up to which size an
island may be removed?

Cheers
Stephan