Re: gEDA-user: Adding extra layer

>> Is there any reason we don't set this to something like 64 or 128 in
>> the distributed program itself?
>
> It affects the size of many arrays, so making it arbitrarily large
> eats up memory.

Sorry for replying yet again.  I promise to not rant any more!  :-)

Consider this:  A board with say 10 layers is not uncommon for folks
designing with BGAs.  (I'm sure somebody will quibble and say that the
layer count can easily be more, but that supports my forthcoming
point.)

OK, add to 10 layers all the other stuff we need to support:

metal layers: 10
top & bottom silk: 2
top & bottom paste: 2
top & bottom mask: 2
drill (plated & unplated): 2
fab layer: 1
outline layer: 1

That's 20 layers to support a not-very-agressive board using our
current PCB architecture.  And if we add stuff like keepout layers and
so on, then that calls for more layers.....

So 32 or more layers doesn't sound unreasonable, does it?

Stuart