Re: gEDA-user: Adding extra layer

der Mouse schrieb:
>> Anyway, memory is cheap.
>
> Only for mainstream mass-market hardware.
>
> Of course, that may be all gEDA cares about....
>
>> If we lose users in order to save 1 K, or even 1 Meg of RAM, that
>> doesn't make sense.
>
> Depends.  To what extent is "more users" an overriding good?
>
> In this particular case, I think the conclusion is correct.  I just
> don't like the reasoning being advanced here.  (I would even more
> prefer to see max-layers settable at startup time, but I daresay that
> would be a substantially more intrusive change.)

For the majority of users memory is cheap. If there are more users that
want more layers than there are users that don't have enough memory, the
limit should be increased.
This will minimize the number of users that have to change the #define
and recompile. It should be noted in the documentation where to change
it and that it's a number-of-layers vs. memory usage tradeoff, so those
that don't have memory (and those that want even more layers) know what
to do. I suggest to increase the number to 32 for a start.

Philipp