Re: gEDA-user: Metric footprints in geda.inc (IPC-7351)

Hi,

thanks for the quick answer,

>> reading through the m4-style footprint definitions, I stumbled into
>> the metric vs. non-metric footprint definitions
>> (/usr/share/pcb/m4/geda.inc), i.e. 'RESC1005L', 'RESC1005N',
>> 'CAPC1005L' etc which are approximately the same as '0402'.
>>
>> Now I'm just wondering, for parts that the manufacturer claims to be
>> 0402, is there any advantage in choosing one of the more specific
>> metric footprints?
> [..]
> "L" = Least material condition "N" = Nominal material condition "M" =
> Most material condition.

> The 0402 is there because it had been there for a good bit and lots of
> folks were still very much wanting footprints with names like 0402,
> 0603, 1206.  So whats there is roughly the "N" version thats between
> the CAPC and RESC ones.

So this means, choosing just the 0402 footprint, without making a
difference between resitors, capacitors and inductors, will still be
manufacturable, but might not be optimum for a factory's specifications?

Then I think I won't touch my design :) But good to know for any future
projects.  Especially if I'm ever going to hand-solder a SMD board, the
"M" footprints will come in handy, I guess.

David