gEDA-user: gsch2pcb deleting almost all elements

Hi,

this is a problem that has bugged me for quite some time now: whenever I
use gsch2pcb to update my design, it deletes almost all elements, even
though nothing changed about them.  gsch2pcb --fix-elements has the same
problem:

  cp board.pcb board_new.pcb
  gsch2pcb --fix-elements -v -v -v "gsch2pcb.project" -o "board_new"
  [...]
  Done processing.  Work performed:
  board_new.pcb is backed up as board_new.pcb.bak.
  86 elements deleted from board_new.pcb.
  0 file elements and 2 m4 elements added to board_new.new.pcb.
  1 elements fixed in board_new.pcb.

I can't find the reason for that error.  Is there any way I can make
gsch2pcb give some more output about _why_ it chose to delete an
element?  Is anything known about that anomaly?

Reading through my .pcb file, I cannot find any difference between the
elements that are kept and the ones that are deleted.  There are even
completely equivalent components where one is kept, and the other is
not.  Line numbers also are no indicator of deletion (like everything
starting from a certain line is deleted).

For now I think I'll just have to manually copy any changed elements
from the board_new.pcb file und load the updated netlist...

cheers,

David