Re: gEDA-user: gsch2pcb deleting almost all elements

On Mon, 2008-09-08 at 17:53 +0200, David Kuehling wrote:
> Hi,
>
> this is a problem that has bugged me for quite some time now: whenever I
> use gsch2pcb to update my design, it deletes almost all elements, even
> though nothing changed about them.  gsch2pcb --fix-elements has the same
> problem:
>
>   cp board.pcb board_new.pcb
>   gsch2pcb --fix-elements -v -v -v "gsch2pcb.project" -o "board_new"
>   [...]
>   Done processing.  Work performed:
>   board_new.pcb is backed up as board_new.pcb.bak.
>   86 elements deleted from board_new.pcb.
>   0 file elements and 2 m4 elements added to board_new.new.pcb.
>   1 elements fixed in board_new.pcb.
>
> I can't find the reason for that error.  Is there any way I can make
> gsch2pcb give some more output about _why_ it chose to delete an
> element?  Is anything known about that anomaly?

>From the output, it doesn't appear to be trying to re-add the components
it deleted either. I wonder if it plain can't find them on disk anymore,
or if there is some other problem with the design not matching the PCB
board.

The output might suggest that the netlist / parts list produced by your
gsch2pcb.project isn't actually matching your board. Do you have
multiple schematics or hierarchy in the project?

Check the resulting netlist, are all components appearing to show up, or
are some missing?

Do you get any errors in a gnetlist.log?

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,