Re: gEDA-user: gsch2pcb deleting almost all elements

> On Mon, 2008-09-08 at 17:53 +0200, David Kuehling wrote:
>> I can't find the reason for that error.  Is there any way I can make
>> gsch2pcb give some more output about _why_ it chose to delete an
>> element?  Is anything known about that anomaly?

> From the output, it doesn't appear to be trying to re-add the
> components it deleted either. I wonder if it plain can't find them on
> disk anymore, or if there is some other problem with the design not
> matching the PCB board.

Yes, PCB seems to think that: after some more experimenting, adding
option --preserve tells me for all elements previously deleted, that
they are not contained in my schematic.

> The output might suggest that the netlist / parts list produced by
> your gsch2pcb.project isn't actually matching your board. Do you have
> multiple schematics or hierarchy in the project?

I have multiple schematics, and all are listed in the gsch2pcb.project
file.  Not hierarchy.

The strange thing is: if I remove my board_new.pcb file, and run
gsch2pcb, everything works fine, and *all* components are successfully
added to a newly created PCB design:

  rm board_new.pcb
  gsch2pcb -v -v -v "gsch2pcb.project" -o "board_new"
  [..]
  ----------------------------------
  Done processing.  Work performed:
  0 file elements and 107 m4 elements added to board_new.pcb.

So somehow an already existing pcb file, for which merging is attempted,
has an influence on generation or parsing of the pcb-file generated by
the spawned gnetlist process.

> Check the resulting netlist, are all components appearing to show up,
> or are some missing?

Yes, the netlist is fine, even if board_new.pcb previously existed, and
most of my elements got delted.

> Do you get any errors in a gnetlist.log?

Well yes, many minor things ("symbol version mismatch", "Found an
improper attribute"...), but nothing consistent with the selection of
elements that get removed.

Looks like I have to get my hands dirty and run gsch2pcb from within
gdb...

BTW I'm running gsch2pcb 1.6, included with Ubuntu 7.10's geda-utils
package version 1.0.1.20070626.

cheers,

David