Re: gEDA-user: gsch2pcb deleting almost all elements

> On Tue, 2008-09-09 at 20:54 +0200, David Kuehling wrote:
>> BTW I'm running gsch2pcb 1.6, included with Ubuntu 7.10's geda-utils
>> package version 1.0.1.20070626.

> Its a little old, but I can't remember any particular bug-fixes to
> gsch2pcb since then. A few command line options have been added, but
> nothing jumps out.

> Try running gnetlist manually:

> (E.g. for one of my designs..)
> [..]

gnetlist -g gsch2pcb *.sch -o test.output

Works like a charm, resulting test.output seems to list all my
components but without the actual footprints filled in, since the M4
step didn't run.

I als did a 2nd test, adding a "-m test.scm" scheme file that sets the
parameters as gsch2pcb would (ie. setting gsch2pcb:use-m4 #t etc.).
Then the resulting file contains all my footprings, ready to be opened
by PCB.

> I get a file test.output, which lists all components:
> [..]

looks the same for me, too.

> Do your missing components appear in this list? (I'd guess they
> probably do, as gsch2pcb with a blank board works).

excactly.

> If you're able to and you're stuck with debugging, you could send me
> the relevant files and I can have a poke around at what is causing the
> problem.

Sorry, I'm having the problem with a design that is somewhat a work for
hire, so I don't have copyrights or permission to distribute schematics
etc. :(

> One last common gotcha.. do any of your compoennt footprints have "-"
> in them? If so, (and you're not using M4 footprints), try running
> gsch2pcb with --skip-m4

No, none as far as I can see.

> In any case, I'd really like to get to the bottom of this problem.

Me too :) I already went over the gsch2pcb sources, without seeing any
obvious problems.  The next step will be GDB.  Hopefully Ubuntu's
packages were compiled with debug information enabled.

cheers,

David