Re: gEDA-user: gschem symbols -- why use simple text for device name?

On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 6:10 PM, Stefan Salewski <mail@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Many symbols shipped with gEDA/gschem use simple text to display the
> name of the device, i.e. "MAX232" or "7404".
>
> Tragesym does this too -- so I did this for my own symbols.
>
> But is this really a good choice?
> I think there are at least three disadvantages:
>
> 1. If I use a logic symbol like "7404" I may need a special variant like
> "74HTC04" (other may not work) so I will modify the name.

My abstract-symbols branch makes this more manageable, IMHO.  You edit
the "part" side of the component to carry the right part name, not the
"symbol" side, which is just a generic NAND gate.  I've attached an
example that you can use with my branch; fiddle with the refdes and
part attributes on the DIP-like symbol at the bottom (that's the
"part" side), and watch the attributes on the "symbol" side (the NAND
symbol at the top) change automagically.  You can also change the slot
assignment: either edit the "slotname" attribute directly, or press eS
and choose a slot from the dialog.

Have fun