gEDA-user: Best way to learn PCB

Hello,
I really like gEDA idea and I have already set up my first project using it. I haven't problems with gshcem/gnetlist/gattrib - good documentation/tutorials and examples. There are always some hacks, but generally everything worked for me.
Now it is for a pcb design and my troubles starts. Official PCB manual is rather outdated, tutorials says very little about configuration of PCB and so on.
Can You give me some ideas how to learn PCB in a effective way? I'm the kind of person that wants to have everything well configured before starting real work. However now I was able to set colors and I'm still not sure if I set up layers correctly. Creating my own footprints is the next task that I still can not do right. And I red official manual and some tutorials. Am I so stupid? Or just started learning PCB in wrong way...

Best Regards,
Michael W.