[gftp] Can't download some files using SSH2

I'm using gFTP 2.0.18, and I'm experiencing an unusually problem. I'm
connnecting to a remote machine just fine. I can up/download files to
the remote machine in some directories, but there are some directories
in which I can't up/download files to/from. My log shows:

Successfully changed local directory to /home/ken/Desktop
28:
Open /var/www/hrn/archive/naaccr.10420.6c74e86b7f247ce84be510c8faba02e9.txt.tgz
28: Permission denied

Why am I getting a "permission denied" error message? Any help is very
much appreciated.

Ken