[gftp] how to debug ?

Hi,

while using gftp happily on some machines I have great difficulties
with a new one where I've installed SuSe 9.0 .
I've used both a SuSe specific package and 2.0.16 built from source.

I always (have to) use SSH2. There is no problem doing ssh directly to
the remote machine and doing
/usr/local/bin/ssh -X  -e none -l jarausch -p 22 134.130.161.252
   "echo -n xsftp ; /usr/local/libexec/sftp-server"
by hand gives no error indications - neither are there any error entries
in the system log files on the remote machine.
But gftp just hangs after having told be
Running program /usr/local/bin/ssh -X  -e none  ....

Is there any means to debug what is going wrong?

Many thanks for a hint,

Helmut Jarausch

Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik
RWTH - Aachen University