[gftp] TLS / FTPS data support

What is the difference between FTPS control connection and FTPS data support?

Like the previous questioner back in November, I need to access an ftp site using ssl authentication.
I currently use Debian's ftp-ssl or lftp, and would like to enable gftp for this if possible.

Does the current version have what I need, or do I need TLS / FTPS data support?
What's the current status on TLS / FTPS data support?

On building the tarball on an amd64 machine with gcc 3.3, I succeed using
./configure --enable-ssl --disable-nls --with-gtk-prefix=/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/include
and make.

However, I'd like to build a Debian package. I tried using fakeroot dpkg-buildpackage
but get this error:

/usr/bin/make all-recursive
make[2]: Entering directory `/mnt/share/software/tarballs/gftp/gftp-2.0.18'
Making all in intl
make[3]: Entering directory `/mnt/share/software/tarballs/gftp/gftp-2.0.18/intl'
make[3]: *** No rule to make target `all'. Stop.

I get the same error with checkinstall -D. I tried setting up my own debian
directory in the build tree, using dh_make -s, but it made no difference.

You obviously have this all set to build a debian package -- but how?

Cheers,
Dave