Re: SEUL: Re: Proposal for using a single mailing list [was Re: Oneend-user distribution?]

Donovan Rebbechi wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Apr 1999, Michel Stam wrote:
>
> > But has it been completed already ?
>
> YES ! it's a Beta release, but you can download it and run it. In fact
> some people already have.
>
> The next release will essentially be a bugfix
> release , with a few end user apps added, and should  go on CD .
>
> At the moment, our aim is to stay 100% compatible with Redhat because they
> ( and their variants ) , as well as their package format are more or less
> ubiquitous. So our primary goal is to be binary compatible with RH even if
> that means we aren't binary compatible with Laet or LED. Of course, if
> these guys are also binary compatible with Redhat, they'll be compatible
> with us ( just as mandrake are )
>
> We are interested in using any good software we see in the other distros,
> and also urge other distribution projects to take a look the list of
> software we add to Redhat, and seriously consider adding it to their
> projects.

Ok, but would you consider changing/adding to your distribution if you could
maintain your goals ? What I mean, do you want to make changes to for
instance packages shipped with your distribution if you would not have to
drop the 100% compatibility ? I think this is a rather essential issue here,
since if no-one wants to change anything to make their distribution
compatible with the others as well, there is no point in continuing this
discussion.

Michel