Re: Newbie Idea

> jfm2@club-internet.fr wrote:
>
> > Once you have purged the install you must build a new comps file.  You
> > will see it is not so easy.  But the problem is that once you have
> > leaned the distrib it will be still a 30$ download for a french
> > customer dowloading through modem (people on LAns don't need your
> > cuts).
>
> I disagree.  I'm on a LAN and it took me the better part of two afternoons to
> download all the packages, one by one (selected one at a time - I usually get
> about 10 files downloading at once but the problem is that if Netscape, wonderful
> as it is, crashes, you have to rebuild where you were at - and I still don't have
> Linux working on any network, PPP or otherwise).  A cut down version would be
> helpful to anyone who doesn't care to compile from source.  Besides, if it isn't
> there, the newbie doesn't wonder what it's for and install it "just in case" (as
> I did, since I have the HD space).

If on a LAN then you should have used FTP install that is: at one
point you will be presented with a list of packages and you select
what interests you and only this is downloaded.  A cut down version is
useful only for people who are using modems: FTP install through a
modem is not supported so they have to download everything to disk and
for them and _only_ for them it could be useful to build a light
version.

Another thing you have to consider is that Indy 0.1 will be shortlived
so IMHO (but this is only my opinion) effort would be better spent on
0.2 and make a light version basing on 0.2 instead of 0.1.  I see
another area of interest for a light version (but 0.2) and this is CDs
for magazines: I have seen magazines ship Slackware in no small part
because Slack is small and thus allows magazines to complement the Cd
with the usual gratisware Windows crap.  Given the readership in those
magazines a small Indy in the CD would be far better for Linux than
Slackware.

--
			Jean Francois Martinez

http://www.independence.seul.org