Re: Suggestion on structure of Graphics section of repository

> > > Is this  an issue if we use a static build ?
> >
> > Yes. I was thinking in the user who first installs the standalone kdvi
> > and decides one day to install KDE.  There will be a conflict if we
> > didn't generate them from the same SRPM (shared files).
>
> I'm not sure I understand this point yet..
> I was thinking of shared libraries when you first mentioned it, but static
> builds should take care of that problem now that KDE is in 1.0x and its
> interface is not changing so drastically.
> So, what are the "shared files" you are discussing?

Files belongig to two RPMs at the same time.

Normally a file must belong to only one RPM (to avoid a package
overwriting files belonging to another one) but you can make files common
to more than one RPM provided the RPMs are built from the same SRPM

> > > the last time I remember crashing my machine was when I tried using an
> > > SVGAlib package (-:.
> > >
> The *only* time I've crashed linux due to mere software was with SVGAlib.
> It's a good thing for linux newbies to avoid, so that they can become
> disabused of their ideas that home computers are meant to crash on a regular
> basis ;-)
>
> I wonder how long before GGI matures...
> Sophisticated games would actually be a really good thing to show off the
> leanness of the linux kernel
> "How can you be playing Total Anhilation on a 486??????"
> "Linux. *grin*" =^]

Programs who spend most of their time in user mode will get only
slight benefits from the kernel.  Quality of the compiler is more
important in a case like this

But games is something we need for spreading Linux.

--
			Jean Francois Martinez

The worthy man is the one who would drink muddy water if such were the
water of truth.