Re: shared file

> On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, Donovan Rebbechi wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, Stephanie Lockwood wrote:
> >
> > > I propose that an in-depth article for the users comparing Gnome and KDE
> >
> > I am not sure that this is a good idea.
>
> Me neither. Even if I have confidence that KDE won't do bad in such a
> comparison, it is a SURE way to piss people. Specially after some smart
> guy posts the URL to slashdot.org :-(

I don't see why too many people should get offended, as long as it's properly
descriptive of both instead of a glowing endorsement of one and a put-down of
the other. The point is to make clear the strengths of *each*... if whoever
writes it has problems bringing out the strengths of one, we can always
take suggestions for improvements from those who would be so anxious to
offer them :)

I imagine I'm watching a friend who is new to linux browsing our site,
when he gets to the X-Desktops part he would be like, "Hey what's all this
Gnome/KDE stuff about? What's the difference??"
Either we should let him know that it's probably not going to make any
difference to him except looks, or if it does matter we should give enough
info that he can make a somewhat informed decision; if it is such a heated
topic he is probably not going to stumble onto an unbiased discussion
elsewhere.

I haven't used Gnome myself, but I have to think that there _are_ some
significant differences (not just the politics of QT vs. GTK) or else it's
kind of redundant for us to have both - we could just pick one and make
it less confusing for them and less work for us

                              S. Lockwood
                         sjl@zorbas.ece.ucsb.edu
                    http://folletts.ece.ucsb.edu/~sjl