Re: shared file

On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, Stephanie Lockwood wrote:

> > > I am not sure that this is a good idea.
> >
> > Me neither. Even if I have confidence that KDE won't do bad in such a
> > comparison, it is a SURE way to piss people. Specially after some smart
> > guy posts the URL to slashdot.org :-(
>
> I don't see why too many people should get offended, as long as it's properly
> descriptive of both instead of a glowing endorsement of one and a put-down of
> the other. The point is to make clear the strengths of *each*... if whoever
> writes it has problems bringing out the strengths of one, we can always
> take suggestions for improvements from those who would be so anxious to
> offer them :)

All I can say is good luck :-)

> I imagine I'm watching a friend who is new to linux browsing our site,
> when he gets to the X-Desktops part he would be like, "Hey what's all this
> Gnome/KDE stuff about? What's the difference??"
> Either we should let him know that it's probably not going to make any
> difference to him except looks, or if it does matter we should give enough
> info that he can make a somewhat informed decision; if it is such a heated
> topic he is probably not going to stumble onto an unbiased discussion
> elsewhere.

Indeed an unbiased discussion is pretty much nowhere to be found (I hope
that sentence was english). IF someone writes such a page, he can count
on me to try and correct any wrong facts. I will try real hard to limit
myself to that, at least (I am having a good self-control season lately,
so there's hope ;-).

> I haven't used Gnome myself, but I have to think that there _are_ some
> significant differences (not just the politics of QT vs. GTK) or else it's
> kind of redundant for us to have both - we could just pick one and make
> it less confusing for them and less work for us

Well, this is the kind of things where I can't reply or my non-neutrality
will show and the flames start piling on my inbox ;-)

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina@unl.edu.ar
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Centro de Telematica
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Universidad Nacional del Litoral
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Santa Fe - Argentina
                                KDE Developer (MFCH)
"I can attempt anything, specialization is for insects" (50% Heinlein).