Re: shared file

> From: Stephanie Lockwood <sjl@chaucer.ece.ucsb.edu>
> Date: Mon, 03 Aug 1998 15:16:21 PDT
> Sender: owner-independence-l@independence.seul.org
>
> > Files belongig to two RPMs at the same time.
> >
> > Normally a file must belong to only one RPM (to avoid a package
> > overwriting files belonging to another one) but you can make files common
> > to more than one RPM provided the RPMs are built from the same SRPM
> Thanks, now it makes sense.
>
> So, we're going to stay away from the static linked KDE/gnome apps,
> people will just have to run them in their native desktop.
> I believe it is safe to assume that most of our users will be deciding to pick
> up _either_ KDE or gnome (it tends to be developers and a few other
> hard core linux users who would bother to get both), and if they cannot
> "mix 'n match" at all this could be a very important decision, more than
> just the look and feel stuff: a user's satisfaction could be highly influenced
> by whether they pick the desktop that has the stronger applications available
> for their particular areas of interest.

The key point in both KDE and Gnome is that they want to rebuild
everything from xterm to image viewers using the same toolkit so the
user has only one user interface to learn.  No longer having each app
having a different look and UI than its neighbour.

> I propose that an in-depth article for the users comparing Gnome and KDE
> should go on the TODO list under writing tasks. Unfortunately I am not going
> to volunteer to do this task myself; I am not too much into desktops myself,
> nor am I into writing software reviews at all.

No. It would start a GUI war.  In addition at this time the comparison
would be unfair between a mature software (KDE) and a far from
complete one (Gnome).

Our policy is "Let the best one win and wish the best one be our
personal favourite".  Roberto is in KDE side for very good reasons and
I am in Gnome side for political reasons despite finding KDE terrific
and using it both at home and at office.

> What was that about fixing the lilo rpm?  It's under non-programming
> jobs, but I don't understand how you can add a help screen to lilo
> merely by repackaging.  Miscategorization, or am I missing something
> here?

There is a message clause in the lilo.conf pointing towards a file
containing text to display at boot time.  I built the file but it is
at my office and I have to look at linuxconf to ensure the default is
adding that clause then rebuild the lilo RPM for providing the file.
Another good thing would be to hack linuxconf so it allows the user to
get his national keyboard at boot prompt.  In a french keyboard you have
to type

linux qhq&(éx=àx"'à,&&,è&

instead of

linux aha152x=0x340,11,7,1

--
			Jean Francois Martinez

The worthy man is the one who would drink muddy water if such were the
water of truth.