Installing Indy all from a download

Assuming I was sucidal enough to do this...how many years would it take me to
download the whole thing at about 49k (about what In usually get on this
crappy thing)? I'm a complete and utter linux newbie though...I've installed
a slackware thing that used a dos file system and even managed to get it to
install X, although no luck w/ KDE...is there anything I can get away with
not downloading? I just wanna play around with it, it would probably not
become my primary os...yet. Thanks for any assistance you may be able to give