Re: About democracy was Re: Organizing for 6.2 (FWD)

----- Forwarded message from owner-independence-l@seul.org -----

Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 12:11:04 -0500
From: Kevin Forge <forge@forge.kfs>
To: independence-l@independence.seul.org
Subject: Re: About democracy was Re: Organizing for 6.2

Romulus15@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 2/16/2000 10:25:03 AM Eastern Standard Time,
> Paul.Newman@pgen.com writes:
>
> << It doesnt need to install from windows. If the CD is bootable that is
> surely the
>  simplest thing there could be! Instructions: turn computer off, put cd in cd
> rom
>  drive, turn computer on.  >>
>
> The problem with this statement is, what if the user's computer doesn't have
> the BIOS set to boot off of the cd?  I know that the standard boot sequence
> is A then C with an option to boot off the cd that you have to manually set.
> Do we really want the user to screw around with BIOS settings?  I think that
> we should have a Windows Autorun feature on the cd that allows the user to
> view the documentation which tells them that if the cd doesn't boot, to make
> startup disks by clicking this button <insert button here :-) >      That
> would probably be the safest and easiest way to handle things.
>
> Max DiOrio
> mcdiorio@buffalo.edu
> romulus15@aol.com

Corel takes this approach.

1. Insert CD into machine with running Windows.
2. Autorun.inf pops up a Window and asks if you want to boot from CD
   or Floppy.
3. If you choose floppy it set's the bios and creates boot disk.
3b. If you choose CD it sets the bios.
4. Reboot and begin installation.

Windows is far too finicky to be trusted with more than
  D:\rawrite D:\boot.img A:

----- End forwarded message -----