Re: Help on Installing Independence

> Here I am again.
>
> I have taken a look at the RedHat CD and I think that the correct setup is
> the following:
>
> h:\Indy
> h:\Indy\base
> h:\Indy\instimage
> h:\Indy\RPMS

Just create a Symlink RedHat -> Indy (well if you are on a windows
partition you are hosed) just in case I overlooked something when
changing paths..

However here we have two cases:

Indy 6.0 is finished.  There you have an install who will look for an Indy
directory

Indy 6.1 is uncomplete.  It still has a RedHat installer (looking
under the RedHat directory ) who in addition has a RedHat filedatabase
so in many cases it will fail to find the Indy file because the RedHat
file is named myfile-3.i386.rpm while the Indy package is a
myfile-5.i386.rpm due to being anewer version.  I can do a very quick
and dirty build if you _really_ require it but you will only get the
old Indy 6.0 installer.

About Indy being easy to install I reiterate that IMHO this is far too
overrated for marketing reasons (this is what the PC Magazine reporter
will see).   What Indy aims is:

1) Provide something useful and fun whatever user you are, not a
distribution who is objevctively only a toy if you are not a corporate
user or a nerd

2) Provide for your constraints: how you learn, how you connect, who
   are you.  Most distributions implicitly assume the system
   administrator (you) has years of experience.

3) Make it easy to _use_ is higher on the list than easy to install:
the easiest install is go to an installfest and have someone install
Linux for you but what happens when you return home?

To make a long story short: Caldera has the nicest install of all the
Linux distributions but Indy tells you how to get of booting troubles,
enables you to ask for help oly minutes after install and tries to
make a bit harder for you to shoot yourself in the foot.  Caldera 2.2
software selection was not so great (1.3 had a far better one) while
Indy had a better configurator and more and better aplication programs

--
			Jean Francois Martinez

http://www.independence.seul.org