Re: squeak is enthousiast

> On Wed, 12 Jan 2000, JF Martinez wrote:
>
> > building multimedia apps.  I was looking for a programming language
> > for Joe Users willing to learn a bit of programming or willing their
> > kids learning.  One of the constraints is that Joe User will become
>
> What do you think of perl ? It comes with a truckload of documentation,
> and it's very easy to use.

I think Perl is a nice language for, say, PhDs in mathematics but not
for Joe Users.  It is not as clean and natural as Python (a survey on
"normal" people exposed to Python revealed they had only two
complaints one of them being the fact Python is case sensitive and
there was also another minor point I don't remeber).  Perl is not
better than Python respective for the point of coming with flashy
examples.

What I would like is a Linux answer to Visual Basic: I know of a guy
who built an application for teaching alphabet to kids in 50 lines of
Visual Basic: it randomnly picked a letter and showed it along a
drawing of an object whose name began with the letter.

This language also needs a tool a la fdesign or vtcl.

--
			Jean Francois Martinez

http://www.independence.seul.org