Sender: wm@seul.org
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 15:56:41 +0000
From: William Merriam <merriam@apisdn.com>
To: independence-l@independence.seul.org
Subject: Re: SpeedTouch (and other USB based ADSL modems) support

jfm2@club-internet.fr wrote:

> I would like to know how many people use ADSL on USB modems

In the UK, nearly all home DSL users must be using the Speedtouch,
according to information at www.adslguide.org.uk. I would probably be
using it if it were easy to use with Linux. Not only is installation
cheaper, but it's the only option for inexpensive DSL connections in
the UK.

The cheapest USB connection:      34.03/month + tax
The cheapest ethernet connection: 90.00/month + tax

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/qanda.asp?faq=usb

    Why is USB and Ethernet so differently priced?

    The USB version runs at a 50:1 contention as opposed to 20:1
    contention for the Ethernet services, therefore cheaper to provide
the
    bandwidth from exchange to the ISP. Also the Ethernet is being
    marketed as a premium business product, BT traditionally charges
more
    for business products. Also the cost of the hardware enters the
    equation, the USB hardware is around 1/3rd the cost of the Ethernet
    router/modem.

So the only reasonable home connection packages work (officially) with
Windows and Mac only. This, I assume, is dictated by British Telecom.