ADSL in the UK

 Jean Francois Martinez wrote:

>>> I would like to know how many people use ADSL on USB modems
>>
>> In the UK, nearly all home DSL users must be using the Speedtouch,
>> according to information at www.adslguide.org.uk. I would probably be
>> using it if it were easy to use with Linux. Not only is installation
>> cheaper, but it's the only option for inexpensive DSL connections in
>> the UK.
>>
>> The cheapest USB connection:      34.03/month + tax
>> The cheapest ethernet connection: 90.00/month + tax

I'm subscribed to Homechoice (http://www.homechoice.co.uk). They offer ADSL
for 20 ukp/month, connecting an Alcatel modem to your PC's serial port. The
service is mainly focussed on TV down the wire (pay per view films etc), and
they limit your bandwidth to 115kbits/sec, but it's always on, and its
cheap. It works fine with Linux: there is a good unoffical faq:
http://www.maxuk.net/hc/faq.html

Check it out.

D.

--