RE: Needs

>>    What if Linux is boot graphically?  Would it be possible to look in
>> the home directory to see which desktop to run?  Is it possible to
>> choose KDE vs Gnome vs X from a graphical login?
>
>Not with XDM.  It should be possible with KDM and its Gnome
>counterpart.  With XDM we would be restricted to use the same tricks
>used if the people had used startx

   So, at this point, you can not have one user with KDE, and another
with FVWM, but with KDM you can?  With GDM you will be able to chose
Gnome, KDE or FVWM?  This would be best functionally, but is it
feasible?

>> >About window managers assumming the user had not selected KDE which
>> >one do we choose as default: FVWM2 with 95 looks, WindowMaker or
>> >AfterStep?  Enlightenment will probably not be ready for prime time.
>
>>    Which is stock?  Stay as close to stock as possible unless there is a
>> arguable functionality reason to change it.  Looks, in my opinion, are
>> not a reason...  Keep in mind that I will have to get screen shots of
>> what ever we decide to support.
>
>I have met people using RedHat and being disapointed when dropped into
>a desktop looking like Windows95.  Perhaps it would be better to give
>something making them feel farther away from Windows.  But I think it
>is better to keep click to focus because that is what they are used
>to.  Change look but not feel

   What about just FVWM?  Not FVWM95...  When I say "stock" I mean, what
would it look like if we added nothing.  A similarity to all other OS
looks could be good. ie: Solaris, HPUX, Mac.  And all of the OS
windowing systems I have used have been click to front, or widget to
front/back.  I would hazard to say, click to front is a standard now.
:-)

			Lee