RE: Needs

On Fri, 26 Mar 1999, Sharp, Lee wrote:

> >>    What if Linux is boot graphically?  Would it be possible to look in
> >> the home directory to see which desktop to run?  Is it possible to
> >> choose KDE vs Gnome vs X from a graphical login?
> >
> >Not with XDM.  It should be possible with KDM and its Gnome
> >counterpart.  With XDM we would be restricted to use the same tricks
> >used if the people had used startx
>
>    So, at this point, you can not have one user with KDE, and another
> with FVWM, but with KDM you can?  With GDM you will be able to chose
> Gnome, KDE or FVWM?  This would be best functionally, but is it
> feasible?

KDM (and I believe also GDM) gives you a combo box in the login window.

Whatever you choose in that combo, is passed as first argument to
~/.xsession (or the system wide Xsession).

With some thought and smart scripting, you can make it switch window
managers.

 `9_ 9  )   `-. (    ).`-._.`)  ralsina@unl.edu.ar
 (_Y_.)' ._   ) `._`.  " -.-'   Centro de Telematica
  _..`-'_..-_/ /-'_.'           Universidad Nacional del Litoral
(l)-'' ((i).' ((!.'             Santa Fe - Argentina
                                KDE Developer (MFCH)
Life isn't short. It's just that death is longer.