Re: Autodocs texts

> I am SO glad someone is looking at it.  I was beginning to wonder... :-)
>
> Also, it has a real name now...  http:\\snow.peakusa.com\
>
> >For now I have  a couple critics:
>
> This is what I am looking for.  Anyone else, chime in.  I don't mind.
>
> >-You speak about RFCs.  This is for technical users.  I; myself, have
> > never read one
>
>    Good point, but I do want to mention the standards the internet is
> built on.  Do you think explaining what an RFC is, and giving a link
> would be OK?

At this point no.  I don't remember if it was in installtion or in the
first part but in both cases is far too soon: they are installing
Linux and have enough trouble in their hands.  In addition I hope
there will be people installing it for the GIMP or the modellers not
for studying network protocols.

> >-You talk about mount points without defining them.  Also you talk
> > about SMB shares but there are people who don't know what is a share.
> > Need to explain this or tell them "if you don't undersatand, then you
> >probably don't have them."
>
> That forest and trees thing again...  Thanks!
>
> >-About boot disks.  People with CDROMs don't need them most time but
> > they need to make the CD bootable in the BIOS.  Perhaps explaining
> > would confuse them.
>
>    Most of the home machines in the US are clones either home built or
> store built.  While some are CD bootable, many are not.  Furthermore,
> some resellers disable CD boot on machines they sell because it confuses
> customers!  I disable it on all the machines at our company.  I will put
> a line in that on some machines it MAY boot off the CD...  Hedging
> enough? :-)
>
> >-About the size of partition problem is that BIOS don't allow booting
> > beyond cylinder 1024.  And old disks have a limit on the size of
> > cylinders who make that cylinder 1024 is 512 Megs.  So if any part of
> > the kernel is beyond 512 megs you cannot boot.  Only way to be sure
> > the kernel is under the limit is by having the whole partition
> > containing it being under 512 Megs.  Modern disks use address
> > translation (LBA mode) and I routinely boot kernels who are in a
> > partition beyond the 4th G in the disk.
>
>    Isn't there also something about LILO not supporting over 500 meg
> partitions?  I know I got the flag with a machine with LBA support, so
> there has to be more.  It was also in hda1, 750 meg after track 0.

Because the entire boot partition must be under 512 megs it results
teh boot partition cannot be bigger than 512 Megs on disks or Biosses
without LBA support.  Also to use LBA mode it must be enabled on the
BIOS.  Also it is possible fdisk or lilo issues a warning if the root
partition is not entirely under the 512 Megs limit.  But I have a 2G
boot partition located at 4G from start in the box I have at my office
and it boots fine.

--
			Jean Francois Martinez

http://www.independence.seul.org