Re: An idea about mail

On Sat, 1 May 1999, Ycore wrote:

> Just out of curiousity... what is 'masquerading'?  where can i read about
> it?

What do you need it for ?

If you are having a problem with your mail looking like it's coming from
"localhost" instead of your email ISP, you should configure your mailer to
use an SMTP server. Most of the better mail clients in linux can do this.
You can also tweak sendmail so that it uses an smtp host instead of
mailing out directly. email me for more info.

> another question... this is a serious newbie thing...
> when i put './' infront of a file name, (for example ./WMprefs) what am i
> doing?  does the './' have a special (or not special) name?

you're specifying the complete directory path to the file name.

There's an environment variable called PATH which lists the directories
which the shell ( command interpreter ) searches for executables.
To run an executable not in PATH, you have to type the directory path to
it. The current directory (.) is usually not in PATH, so you have to type
it.

-- DOnovan