Re: Losing memory and Communicator 4.7

On Mon, 29 Nov 1999, Brian Wiens wrote:
[...]
> use.  I never got any disk space back and had to re-install.  The
> problem only showed up when logged in as root.  Running du didn't show
> any overly large directories.  Any thoughts?  (I have had no problems
> with the new install.)

Did you reformat the Hard Disk when you reinstalled? And what about when
you installed it the first time?

I don't know much about this, so I'm just guessing here, but could it be
possible that there was a problem with the way the hard disk was
formatted the first time?

Did the total/used values obtained from du and df tie up with the size of
the partition?

> > Is there a solution to this "runaway" app problem that you know of?

Would installing quotas have any effect? You'd still run into problems

> Communicator 4.7 seems to be okay.  I have been using the Win and Linux
> versions with no problems (even got the Calendar client working in an NT
> environment!).  I do have one problem - because I am working with a dual
> boot machine (but trying to stay in Linux) I have lots of legacy e-mail
> in Netscape mail folders.  Messages received in Linux are
> filed/summarized properly.  However, under Linux, Messenger shows the
> Win *.snm files as additional folders and can't show properly any
> message received when running Windows (splits between messages don't
> seem to be picked up, all the titles appear in the summary window, but
> reading the messages gives garbled info - body of message A appears
> under the subject for message B, etc).  Any ideas? (Netscape doesn't
> give any help on their web pages or in the help file for the Linux
> version.)

I don't know about snm mail folders, but when I was transfering my mbx
files from windows to Linux, I had problems with the line breaks in the
files. To fix this, I had to open the .mbx file with pico (vi didn't
work), make sure the file started with "From", then saved it under a
different file name. And this enabled pine to recognise the mail folder
correctly. This might work, because I think that windows uses a different
new line char to un*x. (but don't quote me on that.)

The fix?
root# rm -r <C:-mount-point>/windows
(JOKE, do NOT run the above command if you want to keep windows on your
machine.)

David
| David M. Webster '------------------------------' (aka cogNiTioN) |
|===| I use Linux everyday to up my productivity - so up yours! |===|
| <cognition@bigfoot.com> |-|===========|-| http://www.cognite.net/ |
`===========| I walk to the beat of a different drummer |==========='