Re: Jetadmin

JF Martinez wrote:
> Now how about testing Cups as a payback?  ;-)

I am finally paying back for lurking on the list and asking difficult
questions.  CUPS comes as a *.tar.gz with an install and remove script.
I downloaded it on Friday and very easily got it configured and
working.  The script takes thought out of the equation for a newbie,
although it replaces the lpr system completely and may present a
difficulty for an existing installation.  Packaging as an rpm would
allow it very easily to become part of Indy.  One thing that it does not
come with is a graphical cofiguration front-end.  The help file,
however, is very complete and easy to understand.  The whole set up
process for a socket API printer, after download and unzip/untar, was
four commands - "./cups.install" followed by "/usr/lib/lpadmin
-pprintername -E -vsocket://ip.address.of.printer:9100", then
"/usr/bin/enable" and "/usr/bin/accept".  A graphical
front-end/configuration tool would allow non-technical users to select
from the 8 available device types, select a name and specify any
required printer description files.  EPS does sell a configuration tool
called PrintPro, but this is not in the mandate of Indy.

Bottom line:  CUPS was far easier to use and configure than LPRng, even
with LPRng's gigantic help file/documentation.  I would recommend the
inclusion of CUPS (GPL'd), with a suitable graphical/menu-driven
front-end.

Brian Wiens